When we ladies attend a friend’s ruracio and know for sure that a wedding is in the offing, the next thing we look forward to is the invitation to become one of the bridesmaids. Once this has been done, we think all it entails is doing some dress fitting, planning a bachelorette party for the bride and then looking stunning beside her in the wedding pics. But how many of the ladies out there actually know that there are some duties for the role that they so covet? I know most of y’all wannabe-bridesmaids don’t know this so let me enlighten you today! Agreeing to be a bridesmaid is like signing up for a part-time, unpaid job.
Future Bridesmaids here is a cheat-sheet of your to-do list:
- Offer your help on dealing with the pre-wedding tasks. Be specific when you volunteer. This helps the bride know that you are available to do a certain task and thus know they can count on your support.
- Scout and shop for the bridesmaid dresses, shoes, jewelry and any other required wedding accessories.
- Help in the planning, co-hosting and paying for the bridal shower in partnership with the other bridesmaids.
- The Maid of honor should handle the task of keeping a clear record of all the gifts received at various parties. This will help the couple as they write out their Thank-you notes.
- Attend the ceremony rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner.
- Help in dealing with any last-minute errands that need to be covered.
- Collaborate with the other bridesmaids to get the bride a gift.
- No matter how stressful the whole ordeal may prove to be, hang in there. It might not be your day and you might think the color of the dress is ugly, but don’t complain. Be gracious and tactful. Treat the bride with the respect that you would like accorded to you if you were the bride.
- Lastly, provide plenty of emotional support not only during the planning phase but also during the wedding day! Remember, you were friends even before the wedding and the wedding day should not be what ends your friendship.
Bridal Heaven Kenya, Your One-Stop Wedding Blog!